Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Recap



The common thread that wound through this holiday weekend was good anglers, battling less than ideal conditions and grinding out a few nice fish. Pictured above is Steve with whom I fished on Sunday. Steve is a Massachusetts native who has fished extensively for bass and blues. Our goal was to sight cast, but the sun never shone down upon us leaving us with dreary, gray, and windy blind casting (if you were outside or I suppose even near a window on Sunday you probably noticed that it was not a pleasant day for striper fishing). In the face of this adversity, Steve positioned him self stalwart in the bow and gave it hell. He only caught a few, but this guy’s been around the block, so he knows the drill. Nice work Steve, hope to have you back someday real soon.





Pictured here are Mike and Ed. These guys are from Edgartown and long time friends of Fishing the Vineyard nation; to say they bring the A game would most certainly be an understatement. Again wanted to sight cast, again got shunned by Helios. Such is the breaks I guess. We came upon a nice surface blitz in the morning. At first I thought it was blues. But upon closer inspection/a little R & D with a popper, realized what I was dealing with was a was a ravenous school of fish busting on small bait that was essentially unidentifiable (I’m callin’ tiny sandeels on that) and going up and down really quick; they looked just like blues, only smaller. We bailed out of what essentially amounted to a pseudo-program and went to look for bass. We found a some. Not necessarily the mind blower I was hoping for when I got out of bed today, but as far as Monday mornings go I’d give it a rating of pretty darn sweet.



So when I got home after work the sun finally came out for the first time in well north of 36 hours. Regrettably, by this point I had the boat all torn up (washing things, fixing things etc.) and could not attend what obviously would have been the best 4 hour window all weekend to push the skiff. I’m sure some of you think that’s funny. I think it’s a real drag. Anyway I pounded my fists on my desk (console) for a while and then was over it. The Yankee bats waking up down in Texas most certainly helped my state of mind.

That’s going to about wrap it up for today. Please allow me end today's report by thanking all current and former members of the United States Armed Forces and remember those who have paid the ultimate price in service to our great nation. You have our devoted honor and respect, today and everyday. Stay tuned next week for up to date reports. Hoping to get some sunny days and resume trying to convince a fish that a fly is a crab, when in fact, it is not. We still have some prime days available going forward, so please be sure to book plenty of trips.



Happy Memorial Day,


Captain W. Brice Contessa